Saturday, May 28, 2016

New

It's been 3 weeks since I last wrote, and I don't really even want to sit down and write today. Saturday morning on a holiday weekend, but Aquaman, Greystoke and I spent out morning running errands all over town, and we are glad to be home. The Dude spent the night with Noni and Papa, and will be home soon.
Greystoke is napping.
Aquaman is playing trains, which he rediscovered yesterday, and I am happy to see he has not outgrown. I remember so many hours that he spent, starting just a little older than Greystoke, on the ground making the trains roll around the track.
It wasn't until he was 4 or so that he would allow me to turn them on and let them run...he was terrified of them when he was younger. Even now, he mostly prefers to push them...talking softly to himself.
He very patiently taught Greystoke how to do it yesterday, but Greystoke only has a few minutes of patience for leaving them on the track, and Aquaman has much less than a few minutes' patience for that kind of behavior.
But we are 4 days into summer, and it is going so well.
To be sure, Aquaman has had his moments, but it is nothing like during the school year when he is wound up so tight that the smallest thing will make him snap and dissolve into a downward spiral.
His last report card showed that he is now reading at a 6th grade level, even though he still proclaims that he hates to read.
We are taking the summer off of all writing or forced school work other than 20 minutes of mandatory quiet looking at books per day. He doesn't even have to read them. He always does.
He still hates it.
It hurts his eyes and his head and makes him feel restless and sick to his stomach.

But now that he has not blown up so tight that he is about to pop, his sweet side is coming out more and more. He is patient with Greystoke and The Dude.
At the park yesterday they played an imaginative firefighter game (he was the chief of course) with his brothers for almost an hour without any major incidents. He even invited another small boy to join them, and talked very kindly and patiently to him.
All of these things might not be anything to shout praises about with most 7 year old boys, but for him they are major accomplishments.
He saw his new pediatrician, cried and had to be held down for his exam because he did not know her and claimed that the otoscope hurt, and she immediately referred us for occupational therapy for sensory processing disorder and for a full psychological assessment. So the past weeks have been chasing around trying to find a way to get it covered because it will take months to make the schools do it, and I don't want to wait for them anymore.
Medical insurance doesn't want to cover what they consider to be educational testing. So we've spun a lot of wheels, but hopefully will get it done somehow this summer.
He was placed on a 6 week waiting list for OT, but they called last week due to a cancellation, and hopefully he will be evaluated next week.
JT and I finished 3 weeks of parenting classes with Aquaman's counselor, who is also a pastor, and I found these so encouraging. I've learned how to control what I can control (circumstances and not people), and not take the uncontrollable personally. I've learned to accept that though Aquaman is a normal and very bright boy, he has some special needs and therefore needs some special patience. I truly believe he will reach his potential, and that it will be more beautiful for the childhood struggles of it.
The Dude officially graduated from preschool. He passed his kindergarten readiness assessment with flying colors. I won't exactly say he is excited about starting kindergarten, because Aquaman has kind of terrified him of school, but I think there is a fair chance he is going to love it....at least until 1st grade...
Right before the last week of school, he took a flying leap off of his bunk bed in the middle of the night because he had a nightmare about snakes, and injured his foot. It swelled up quite enormously and he wouldn't walk on it, so we spent all day chasing around with xrays and pediatrician visits.
Turns out it was just some sort of soft tissue damage, thank you God, and though it took him a week to walk on it again, and he is still limping, we will not have to endure a month of summer heat in a cast without swimming or going to the beach.
He was so sweet and cheerful and patient, even dragging himself around on the floor like Tiny Tim.
He is abundantly full of energy and affection. Yesterday on his tablet, he painstakingly spelled "love mama" and gave it to me.
He is obsessed with numbers and spends every moment he can get his hands on a calculator making up his own math problems.
He makes a new friend pretty much everywhere he goes....
unless he is with Aquaman and then he sometimes has to give other kids the cold shoulder in solidarity with his brother.
And what can I say about Greystoke these days? I had totally forgotten the joys of a 2 year old. I know we will hit the terrible twos in a few months, but for now they are truly terrific. My quietest little man now pretty much never stops talking. He substitutes y for l (me YIKE pickles!) and t for c (I'm toming, mama!" and d for th (dat MINE bike!) )and I could sit and listen to him talk for hours. The rest of the hours I could spend just staring at him as he runs to and fro. Or gives me an enormous toothy grin. Or scowls and growls at me when I try to get him to perform. Even his grumpy side is completely adorable.
He loves numbers too, and counting, but hasn't quite gotten the hang of it yet...
"one, two, fwee, shix, sheven, eet, nan, ten, eweven, twelve, shixteen, senteen, eighteen, nanteen, eighteen, nanteen, eighteen!"
So pleased with himself.
I'm completely exhausted from nursing him all night, but have decided night weaning can't possibly take place until we come back from vacation. I was planning to do around his birthday but then we all got sick, and then there were last days of school and the last day of my old job and now first days of my new one and I can't fathom learning new things on even less sleep than I am getting now.
But the kicker is that I want our vacation to be as easy as possible, and having a toddler who sleeps in your bed is definitely the easiest way to travel.
There have been so many changes in our lives all at once that it is really hard to process, and it doesn't help that there never seems to be a moment to sit still and process it all. I haven't spent as much time praying and reading my Bible as I should these past couple of weeks. It's hard because when you're tired it makes it extra difficult to tune out distractions, and yet when your tired is usually when life is most distracting. But God hasn't moved.
And at night when the house is finally quiet for a few minutes before Aquaman wakes up with a nightmare, or The Dude injures his foot, or the toddler wants to snuggle, and the worries and fears and anxieties of life start to bombard me, I start with any book I can think of in the Bible and try to remember one verse from it.
It's amazing how God brings you just the ones you need. And it reminds me to read. So often we don't pick it up because we're almost too overwhelmed for more instructions.
But it's not just instructions there, there's all the comfort and reminders and peace to which we should be running.
How godliness with contentment is great gain.
How deep calls to deep in the roar of God's creation.
How children are a heritage of the Lord, and His reward.
I know it looking at them.
My new job is going really well, and I am so excited to dive deeper into it. I love the opportunity to learn new things and reach out to new people and love with whatever skills that God has given me. I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to do that within the flexible parameters I have been given.
And now other change, and other new opportunities are looming in the horizon as well, and I am excited to see how these will pan out.
It will be a summer of great growth and change and adventure and opportunity.
God is making so many things new in our lives. Which is funny, because that is exactly what the theme of the sermons have been at our church for the past month.
I mean, it's not really funny at all, because God always knows the things of which we need to be reminded.
"Forget the former things, do not dwell upon the past. Behold I am doing a new thing, will you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland." Isaiah 43:19






No comments:

Post a Comment