Thursday, February 7, 2013

It's been a long 10 days.

It's been cool enough  to wear long sleeves occasionally, and warm enough for grape juice popsicles and truck ramming in the courtyard.
There's been a lot of crying this past 10 days. A lot of wondering and reaching, and laying around, and scurrying around.
There's been a lot of effort put into wearing clothes that don't exactly fit.















Life is angled. Bent. But always upward.

 
We like to hold each other's hands
Look around with a hopeful smile.

We haven't felt as strong as usual. Maybe a little more thoughtful.
But we've managed to keep a decent sense of humor.

Last Saturday, JT hit a sandbar, shoulder first and separated his AC joint.
To a lot of people, it would be a pain, but it wouldn't be quite so life altering. If you're an engineer sitting at a computer all day, yes, it would be annoying to use only your left hand for a few weeks. But taking JT's shoulder: a lifeguard, swimmer, surfer, and prospective firefighter:
well it changed our lives a little bit.
I had a sense that 2013 would test us in new ways. It has not let me down.
First the challenge to surrender my children.
And this week, God showed me the shakiness of my own faith by altering the health of the only human being I possibly love even more than them.

Two hours before his injury, as I was putting The Dude down for his nap, I happened upon Malachi 4:2:
"But for you who revere My name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings. And you will go out and leap like calves released from the stall."
Malachi 4:2
 

I remember thinking...well, none of us needs healing. Why does this verse mean so much to me right now? I posted it as my facebook status anyhow. Thanks J.L. for reminding me how God was preparing my heart.

We all need healing, in some form or another today. Be it for a wounded shoulder, or self-image, or the realization that your faith has drifted back to outside circumstances and the power of your own hand to provide for yourself.
I'm ready to be released from this stall of uncertainty. I'm watching the sun rise in new ways this morning. I love that each day offers a new opportunity for forever change. Each new challenge going 3 steps forward and 1 step back...but leaving us 2 steps ahead. 2 steps closer to the eternal Peace that is offered by the Prince of Peace.
It's a long climb sometimes...especially when we're one-armed.
But it's always worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment